I fabbed up the tail light bracket today and am very pleased with the results.
I first started with a cardboard template to get a feel for layout and look:
I then worked a piece of 1/16 aluminum and came up with this:
This is using my new flare LED brake lights I ordered from England.
And on the bike from a couple of angles:
Alas, everything is not quite right yet. The bracket/endpiece is a perfect fit, I mean so perfect. But the only problem is:
Those stupid welds are in the way of the end-piece fitting flush up against the lower cross piece! I didn't plan the weld location all that great. OOPS. So now I either remove the welds (bad idea), space out the end-piece using rubber or another metal piece, or modify the end-piece so it doesn't fit all the way to the round frame (ugly). I think I'm going to space the bracket out slightly.
I've still got to drill the mounting holes and of course, anodize the aluminum piece. I've set up a homebrew anodizing rig and have been getting excellent results on test pieces so far. More about my anodizing setup on another post.