Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Idea

I like wrenching on motorcycles. After semi-customizing my daily rider, a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple, I didn't want to work on it any more. It just needs to look good and get me to work everyday. I got the idea of a project bike about 6 months ago.

I can't stand the dime a dozen motorcycles you see all over, like Harleys and GXSRs, so I started looking for a somewhat unique bike to do a total makeover to. My friend and co-worker Shai Kahana rides a Suzuki VX800 everyday to work, rain or shine. After working with him for over a year and seeing his bike everyday in the parking lot, I realized the beauty and potential in this overlooked gem.

The idea is to create a unique bike out of a less popular but really good bike. Soon after deciding on the Suzuki VX800 as my project motorcycle, I found an ad on craigslist for a 'project' VX800 for $500.00 The bike was considered a project bike by the person selling it, and for good reason, it didn't run, was somewhat taken apart and was in terrible external condition.

Here's the bike as I got it:


It was missing the seat, the tank had some major dents, and most of the engine had been spray-painted black at some point.

No comments: